For the past two days I’ve been feeling less than. Kinda like shit to be honest. At first I wasn’t sure why because I went down the vortex and started getting all blue and anxious. Everyone has the tendency to get in a funk. It happens, we’re human. Everyone also has the ability to pull themselves out of a funk.
When this happens to me, there are a few things I do to get out of it. Not dismiss it, just allow it to happen and move on from it in a healing way.
I sit with the experience, then start to unpack it and make sure to be honest with myself.
So recently I got caught in the comparison game. It happens, I’m human. I went down the vortex – it was a combo of self deprecation, jealousy, and paranoia. Real dark. Went next level and told myself and believed it for a minute that I’m going to be broke, poor, unsuccessful and my coaching and energy healing business isn’t going to thrive. WHOA!?!? What the Funk?!??!!
Feeling like this kinda feels like a hangover!
I sat with “it” (aka the funk) for a moment and decided it was time to clear it out. Sometimes with this stuff we can be stubborn and hold on to negative thoughts and feelings for a long time. In this case I went to bed in the funk and woke up in the funk. It was time to get out of the funk. Taking a few deep breathes, I “looked” around at the funk and visualized what it looked like and where it was in my body. Being able to sit with it, locate it and visualize it helps unpack the funk, which is ultimately someone else’s story. Then, I asked myself, to think about what triggered me. Who around me was feeling like they are broke, unsuccessful, and not good enough? I asked myself if these feelings I was having were these persons? I asked myself if I wanted to hold onto these feelings? Obviously no! Then I gave myself permission to wash those feelings away and let them go, knowing that they aren’t mine. I then told myself what I needed to hear. I call this the nurturing cup of tea moment.
Throughout the day, I try to do nice things for myself. Listening to music, opening the windows, buying flowers, engaging in a hobby, getting outside, sweating a little bit. It keeps the momentum. I also will give myself permission throughout the day to release the energy that is not mine.
The mind is like a computer, it freezes and needs to be restarted.
So when this happens to you and hopefully it doesn’t, here are some tips to get through the funk:
- Be nice to yourself.
- Sit with the funk.
- Be honest with yourself – admit if you’re feeling jealous or angry, it’s okay, you’ve gotta be honest with yourself. No one is going to hear your inner dialogue.
- Know it’s totally temporary and your mind is a generator of information.
- Unpack the feelings. Ask yourself if the feeling was familiar? Ask yourself, who were you around that might have been feeling that way? Don’t feel guilty if it’s your spouse, mom, best friend – it’s okay. Everyone has a tendency to pick up other peoples energy without realizing it. It happens. The key is to ID it and wash it away.
- Give yourself permission to wash it away.
- Ask yourself how you want to feel.
- Give yourself that nurturing cup of tea, the pep talk, the caring words.
- Do something nice for yourself – a cup of coffee, a walk, a hobby, listening to music.
You’ve got this! It’s going to be okay!!!!